Search This Blog

Friday 14 January 2011

what is nostalgia?


Nostalgia in simple terms is triggers that make you think about the past and emotional memories which you associate with different things.
These are two different definations of nostalgia:

"When a stimulus is capable of recreating a personal event, even  after many years, there often follows a bitter-sweet sentiment known as nostalgia.” (Dubois, 2000).

“Nostalgia has been described as a bitter-sweet emotion, where the past is viewed with both sadness and longing.” (Solomon, 2000).

There are many things that i associate with my past, these are shown on my mood board that i created:






This mood board shows lots of differet things that i can remember from my childhood. I remember getting really excited to get my first play station, everyone was getting one and i remember when my dad bought one for me i was so happy :)
Also i remember watching tom and jerry with my dad was i was very young, however the old ones are the best the new ones are rubbish! When i think back to my past their are so many happy memories i have with all of these items above. However there are some items that could have negative connetations with to children such as the film gremlins, this film could be to children very scary.

Advertising companies use nostalgic advertisemnt to sell a product and it is a very simple concept to understand. If an advert makes people happy and remember a good point in their live then they are more likey to go out and purchase the product. Nostalgic based advertisemnet can be fairly hard however due tot he fact that different people have different good and bad memories and one persons good memory could mean anothers bad one.



This is the Coca Cola christmas advert from 2007-2009.  It always reminds me of Coca Cola brand. It reminds me of when i was a child and i knew that when this advert started to come onto the TV it was close to christmas and obviously began to get excited. This video has alot of very positive nostalgic memories for me.

 

This advert always reminds me of the milky bar kid, it brings back memories of my youth plus white choclate is so much better then milk chocolate and the milky bar kid knows that.

2 comments:

  1. Check for typos and re-publish. You are good on application but you need to cover the academic theory in much more depth and detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. when you get time - do some more so that you don't get behind

    ReplyDelete